Posts Tagged ‘buildr’
In a previous post I ran into some problems with Buildr’s support for Specs in combination with JUnit. I googled a bit and came up with nothing so I did what all newbies do. Ask the pros on the mailinglist :) (I stayed away from “plz help” and “could you plz send me a patch”). I was (of course) suggested to try the latest from head and I felt an unpleasant resistance towards downloading archives, figuring out how to point gems to the latest version etc. All of those things are probably simple but I just want to develop some Scala code and did not look forward to it.
Well, boy was I worrying in vain!
I’ve now spent some time every now and then converting Java-classes into Scala classes. I’m one of those Agile loudmouths so some of you may wonder what I’m doing about the tests. I mentioned that all tests pass in pt. 2 but I have not written about how I test. Well, it probably comes as no surprise that the current code is tested in JUnit and I have simply kept my old test-suite intact when phasing over. This strategy works well since what I’m really doing is refactoring. I move class by class in baby steps, running my tests after each change to make sure that everything is still working as it should. But I’m starting to be done with the move now and a strategy for writing new scala-code seems more and more relevant.
Yesterday I started converting parts of my pet-project to Scala. Without any other ambition than to make the java-class compile in Scala, roughly 30 lines of java-code became 18 lines of Scala code! Most of the save could be attributed to constructor properties that removed the need for declared fields and assigning them in a constructor. I also managed to run my old test-suite with my new scala replacement together with the rest of the java-code in eclipse. Talk about seamless transition! Read the rest of this entry »